Extra Credit Clip Analysis

December 12, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtL_PasQefI

While searching for film clips I cam across this propaganda film from the 1960’s.  This is a propaganda film that was made to show the negattive effects of using heroin.  This film stood out to me and for me it felt like a cross between La Jetée and Moth Light.  The film follows the narrator through his experience with heroin that led to his downfall.

The entire film is still images with clips of psychedelic images.  The music is also a very relaxing and very trippy and I think it goes very well with the film.  The voice of the narrator is also very mellow and doesn’t really change getting loud or lowered but it kind of stays at the same level.  The fades from the shots of people using heroin and the psychedelic clips I think works very well.  I like how the images of the people never show them smiling or laughing or having fun, everyone looks very depressed and sad but the narrator keeps referring to the get together as a “party”.   The last images I think are the most powerful where they show his withdrawal and the images are almost wavy and show movement.

I found this film very similar to La Jetée because of the still images, the narrator and the dark images.  Even though La Jetée was in black and white and this film is in color they still have a very dark and almost mysterious feel to them.  The psychedelic clips of wavy lines and flashes reminded me of the Moth Light film.  Just the brightness and movement were very similar and pretty much gave the same effect while watching it.

4 Responses to “Extra Credit Clip Analysis”

1.   Amy Herzog Says:

What a great and surprising choice for this project– I often find educational and industrial films to be more revealing of a cultural moment than many mainstream movies. Thanks!

2.   % Says:

Thank you very much for therefore helpful post. Excellent employment!

3.   iasmedical.com Says:

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification
    seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries
    that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail
    upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can
    take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Look at my weblog: iasmedical.com

4.   www.youtube.com Says:

I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

Here is my web blog; http://www.youtube.com